About addon domains
Addon Domains are handled like subdomains as far as the server is concerned, but to the outside world they are separate domains.
Addon Domains do not have their own cPanel; however, you may still create e-mail accounts, redirects, Fantastico installations, subdomains, etc.
Web stats for your Addon Domain will be found within the icon of the web stat program you select in cPanel. If you are using an older cPanel theme such as "X", you will need to look under Subdomain Stats to find the web stats.
Every addon domain is also a subdomain. You may actually load your addon domain in one of three ways:
- http://addondomain.com/ (As an Addon Domain Name)
- http://addondomain.com.primarydomain.com/ (As a Subdomain Name)
- http://primarydomain.com/addondomain.com/ (As a subfolder)
Don't worry! Visitors will only know the link you give them; they have no way of knowing which domain is your primary domain and which is the addon domain. To your visitors, the Addon Domain appears to have its own hosting plan.
Note: You may not be able to create an Addon Domain if you do not own the domain name, or if your DNS hasn't propagated yet.
With Addon Domains you can host multiple different domains with different website content, all under the same disk space and bandwidth of one cPanel. To create a second domain name with its own website, please do the following:
Login to your cPanel and click Addon Domains, under Domains. There are three fields cPanel asks for when creating an Addon Domain.
- New Domain Name: Enter the new domainname.com, but do not put http or www in the name.
- Username/directory/subdomain Name: This will be the folder cPanel creates in your public_html folder. Normally, you want to ensure the name you provide doesn't already exist as a folder in public_html, but cPanel will automatically suggest the name and we recommend you stick with the suggestion.
- Password: Fill in any password you want here. This password is used for an FTP account which is automatically created by cPanel. You likely will not ever need this password, so we suggest picking a random password and forgetting about it.
Your new domain is now successfully added. You can upload the website files to the specific addon folder which was created in the public_html folder.
How to remove an Addon Domain.
If you have an Addon Domain set up and would like delete it, please do the following:
1. Login to your cPanel and click Addon Domains.
2. At the bottom, under Actions, click Remove.